Monday, May 25, 2009

Thoughts, Discussions and Incidents on IPL-2 Semifinals and Finals

IPL-2 finally came to the grand closure and I must admit overall the tournament was nothing short of fantabulous. Though myself and some of my friends were disappointed since our favorite team Chennai did not make it to the finals. But I must admit Bangalore played a better game on that day and kept Chennai's mighty batting lineup under control.

Anwesha started almost crying (not exactly crying, but that sad sad face with barely audible sobbing like noise) when it was evident that Chennai were on the verge of losing the match. "Why do they need to have a semifinal, Chennai (Chennai Super Kings) is a better team, they deserve to be in final, there should not be any semi-final, Delhi and Chennai should play final as they were the top two teams". sob .. sob. "Now Delhi is also out, I don't want Bangalore to win". More sobbing ..

This was partially true as some of the Cricket Pundits have mentioned in their articles in popular cricket sites too, its probably better to have only final instead of semifinal based on the league result, as we already have an extended league. And the overall best performing two teams deserve to be in finals because of the sheer uncertainty of the T20 format.

She was so nervous that she did not watch the match, kept herself busy in some work or other. Only asking for updates to us every now and then whenever crowd noise increases.

I started in my typical way, "Is this how you support your team, by not watching the match, Chennai lost because you did not watch when they batted, you are the main culprit". She extended her saddened look. I decided not to pull her leg more at this point, I refrained from telling any of my expert opinions.

During the Bangalore-Chennai match, one notable difference was the fielding of Bangalore. Bangalore players were as if in every frame, reaching out to impossible places, and taking superb catches with cool heads. Towards the end of the match, when Chennai were almost losing but still showing no extra commitment in field, Anwesha exclaimed, "Why are not they sleeping instead of running after the ball, instead of running and not able to collect the ball, if they sleep around the pitch in the field the ball will hit them and stop."

"Why did not Rahul Dravid captained Bangalore side, he should have captained so that Bangalore would have lost", Anwesha conveyed her agitation and frustration to us again.

"Kevin Pieterson should have been staying for entire tournament, he was such an inspiring leader that Bangalore was following the footsteps of Kolkata, now Anil Kumble came and all things started turning up", I started babbling my opinions too.


But finally Chennai lost and we all were sad. "Everytime I support some team, the team loses", I made my frustration clear.

Anwesha exclaimed again at top of her voice, "You were telling from the beginning that Chennai not playing well, now they have lost finally to Bangalore. I am going to kill you, you are the culprit (or was I the "match ka mujrim", no no I was probably the "mujrim amongst the spectators")".


She again started sobbing.

"These Chennai guys are hopeless in bowling and fielding, all of them gave away much runs." .. sob .. sob .. "I dont want to see bangalore in final", we just tried to console her. "Chennai team has lethargic attitude in fielding, lazy to the core, just like you ppl lazy in doing exercise whatever times I reiterate", she retorted.
I thought "Huh, sadness converting to anger on me, I should escape", I just tried to change the topic a bit.


In the first semifinal, it was a show of Adam Gilchrist. I was rooting for Delhi to win, but as usual riding on my support luck, the reverse happened for Delhi. But everyone thoroughly enjoyed the astounding batting prowess of Gilchrist. In the end, Deccan defeated Delhi, the topper of the league.

The day arrived calmly. Its the day of IPL-2 final. Hyderabad vs Bangalore. the bottom 2 teams of last IPL fittingly bounced back in the season 2 to become the finalists. We all eagerly awaited, so started watching from the extra innings (despite facing the torture of some boring analysis) itself as if we are glued to the TV set. We again saw the highlights of Semi Finals. Anwesha shouted at us at her full voice, "why the hell do you ppl want to see the stupid semi final again. I do not want to see bangalore playing Hyderabad".

We told, "well, after all it is the final, the big day".

"Ok, ok, watch, but whoever supports Bangalore today is not going to get food for dinner", She snapped at us.

I told, "Today I should support Bangalore, so that riding on my fan luck, Bangalore will lose".


She retorted again, "You can support whatever way you want, but if Bangalore wins, I do not know what I will do to you, I will roll you from top of a mountain, or probably ask an elephant to stomp over you".

"Huh, Bangalore, please lose today, else I am going to die", I prayed God.


The final started, with a bang from Anil Kumble. taking the wicket of Gilly in the very 1st over. What a drama, Bangalore ahead of Hyderabad in an instant. Looked like my luck was favoring for Bangalore. The game went on, Hyderabad batsmen put some spirited display, even tough Kumble, the menace kept on taking crucial wickets.
Though one moment that mattered is Rahul Dravid (the player to take highest no of test match catches, the safest of hand) missing a simple catch of Andrew Symonds. Symonds was on 5 at that time, he went on to make 33 at a brisk rate, that mattered in the end definitely. "At least my fan luck is working partially for bangalore, they are showing rare misfields", I exclaimed.
Anwesha just gave me a sharp meaningful look.


Hyderabad scored a paltry 143, well more of a fighting total. We all thought, "Alas, it is going to be another sad story as that of Chennai like yesterday".
Anwesha already went into that saddened mood, I observed, she went to start cooking, not able to bear the heat and intensity of the match.


Bangalore started chasing the fighting total, they started cautiously. But unlike Chennai, Deccan did not gave away easy runs at all. Deccan were simply outstanding in the field. Stopping everything that is possible, showing that extra commitment. True, wickets did not fall fast for Bangalore, but they were not allowed easy runs too, at least not inside the power play.

We watched, and watched, without missing the advertisements, or the repetitive zoozoo screamings too. I started giving live update to Anwesha (who was generously preparing dinner for us and was still in kitchen), every time Bangalore hits a boundary or a six or Hyderabad succeeds in taking a wicket.
The match got tensed and tensed, by midway it looked like Bangalore had the upper hand. We had almost lost our hope on Deccan, though cheering to every dot ball. Anwesha was running from kitchen whenever any wicket tumbled, unable to control the eagerness to see Deccan Chargers fighting back. But by midway, Bangalore was on top with Ross Taylor and Rahul Dravid playing well. Anwesha again sighed (she is not sobbing today, probably already given up completely), "Bangalore is going to win again, I can not watch this anymore, you ppl change the channel"


But, cricket is the game of uncertainty, any moment it can change the color. Rahul Dravid got out and then Symonds got rid of Ross Taylor and Virat Kohli in consecutive balls. We all were at our feet. Boucher got out too. We are ecstatic with joy now. Its now almost in Deccan's control.

"Bangalore should not surrender meekly, the match should go till last but finally Bangalore should lose (as if I am the script writer)", I told.
Anwesha passed me an angry look and told "yeah yeah, I know you are the one who is rooting for Bangalore to win, you never supported to Chennai, now you are not supporting to Deccan, I will hit you with whatever I find first if Bangalore wins".


But finally Bangalore lost their nerve in crucial moments. It was sad to see Kumble who fought so hard but let down by the batsmen. In the last over, it was RP Singh vs Robin Uthhppa. "I have full confidence on RP Singh that he will bowl well to defend, and so also I have enough confidence on Uthappa for his inability to hit", I explained at the start of last over. And as the story unfolded, Hyderabad won finally, they held their nerve. Welcome new champions.

I was visibly relieved that "Bangalore lost", else I had "motral fear" of getting hittings from Anwesha :) for supporting (fake supporting) Bangalore .

We all started jumping almost, when finally Deccan won.
"It would have been better if Chenani was in final or won the trophy, but I am still happy that Deccan won and not Bangalore", Anwesha exclaimed. She is finally happy a bit and we are getting our dinner. Oh God, I was so hungry, it was a relief.

We continued to watch the closing ceremony and enjoyed every bit of it. Personally did not like the chosen "Miss Bollywood", nor did Anwesha or any of my friends. "But she was selected by audience only", I told, "may be we are different from public".

The closing ceremony was grand, with Katrina Kaif adding to the toast with a sizzling number from Slumdog Millionaire. Anwesha gave her opinion, "I know you guys, you were just waiting to watch Katrina Kaif, from morning you guys were telling million of times". Well, it may be partially true, but I daresay, we wanted to see the prize distribution ceremony more :)

All ended well with Gilly taking Man of the Series and Deccan lifting the trophy. We all are ecstatic, filled with joy, happiness, enjoyment, and a little bit of sad as IPL ended.

P.S. Nothing personal against Bangalore team, its just that we wanted Chennai to win, but truth is that Bangalore came a long way under the great leadership of Anil Kumble and they deserve the win. Kudos to Bangalore team for such a great comeback. And we (including Anwesha) wholeheartedly know that Bangalore was the better team and they played better.

P.S. Congratulations to Deccan Chargers for playing wonderfully. Also congratulations to Bangalore for making into the finals

No comments: